Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Box Of Chocolates....

Hola Valley!!! sorry it's been a week, that is an unacceptable amount of time between much needed information sharing. I've got a host of tidbits coming your way, some good, some bad, but all of it is the truest stuff I've ever wrote...I'll just dive into it, listen up.

Another Stat.
Well Valley, I became a statistic last week when I was laid off. One of those 10%, or whatever, of the unemployed Americans. Of course, I was the only person laid off from my firm and was told I was "too expensive" (I made less $17/hr) and we had a record month for bankruptcy sign-ups.....leave it to a lawyer to lie to someone's face huh?? Now, that place was hell to work at, honestly. I was miserable every day I went to work, I already talked about how vulgar my boss was too me, and it was a very unprofessional place in my opinion. Lots of gossiping, cursing, wasting time, smoking cigarettes in front of clients, and wearing snowmobile racing team neon green jackets around the office...true story. Most everyone was lazy and didn't want to do things that they should be doing as a part of their job. And, that made for a stressful, angry, un-enjoyable place to be. Obviously, losing income makes life a bit more difficult for me at this point, but like my man Forest's momma said a few years back, "Life is like a box of Chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get"

The Tasty Truffle
This Monday I had a meeting with a head football coach at a local University. If you don't know, I'm trying to become involved with football again after taking a 7 year vacation from the sport I love. I am volunteering as an assistant coach for spring ball starting Monday. It will be a trial run to see if I would fit as an assistant there for the fall. Timing seems to have been no less than perfect. The other great thing is, I'm going to be assisting a friend of mine I played with at Winona State and who also coached me there. It's a great situation to spend a couple weeks working in. The head coach is a great guy, great coach, and has been very generous to me. Interesting how things work out. But I have always said, for generally good people, who work hard and treat others with respect, good things ultimately happen. I believe that whole heartedly, and there seems to be a shred of light at the end of the tunnel. I made a decision to recognize what I'm most passionate about, and pursue that as a career. I am convinced it will be the only way I'm happy so, If I can be an example for others in my situation...great. If I'm just updating people on some new info...great. If people think that's a load of junk...great...just keep reading :).

UNC
Congrats to the Tar Heels and to everyone who won their brackets by picking the obvious. If you remember I said UNC wold beat Uconn in the final, but it was MSU instead. Let's be honest, it really didn't matter who they played they were going to steamroll whoever they played. It was great for Michigan State to go to Detroit and play in front of an amazing crowd in a city and state that greatly needed a "pick-me-up". Unfortunately, the Tar Heels got in the way. It is hard to remember a team that so dominated its opponent in the elite 8, final 4, and championship rounds. Oklahoma, Villanova, and Michigan State were all hot and playing well when they ran into the Heels. Each time those teams were forced into taking defended shots, play catch-up, and ultimately lose composure and shoot poorly. It was shocking how similar each of those games were. UNC nailing 3's, Ty Lawson creating havoc, and the bigs getting it done inside. They were just way too good across the board this year. And fun too watch, may I add. So long college hoops, we'll see you in a bit.

Come on Emanski!!
As the torch of college hoops is passed to baseball, I know I usually wanted to cry. I am not the biggest baseball fan. I think MLB is a sham of a sport with how the league is structured, and I think sport is supposed to represent a foundation of fairness and equality. A salary cap is ultimately the focal point in making a respective sport fair. So, when the Yankees can spend 5 times as much as other teams, that just isn't fair.............Enter Fantasy baseball!!! So I'm in a league of extraordinary gentlemen competing in fantasy baseball. Our league is a keeper league with a salary cap, free agents, auction style drafts, minor league drafts and players, and a waiver wire. It has single handedly made me appreciate and pay attention to baseball. Granted, it's mostly MY players I'm paying attention to, but it's a step. I am co-owner of a franchise with a good friend of mine and respected fantasy baseball mind, Scott Whitcomb. We own "Tom Emanski's Fundamentals Baseball Camp" Yes that is home to "Back to back to back AAU national champions" In fact, we're so dominant that people are already making spoofs about our powerful teaching videos:




Now, obviously, they're just jealous of the success and wanted to get some face time for their efforts...so there you go you ding-bats!! Emanski has a great and exciting team heading into the 09 season. We have a rising superstar in BJ Upton, a few fireball pitchers in Roy Halladay, Josh Beckett and Fransisco Liriano, and the future looks bright as well with a great farm system. After day 2 we were tied for first place, and looking forward to a great run at the championship. I will certainly keep you posted.

Change
As the season, sports, careers, and life in general change, one must remember that Change is the only constant...Other than the KValley Report, obviously. We will look at line-up changes in fantasy baseball for next week. I am looking for a great and drastic change in the temperature as the spring takes effect. I am looking forward to getting back out on the field and get my coaching on with some football players and coaches...for a change. I haven't changed my clothes yet today but I'm getting to that, still in pajamas. I changed up my breakfast today, as I went with some cereal instead of the sausage and scrambled eggs I had yesterday. Bottom line is; It's impossible to avoid change, so just roll with it. Enjoy the Masters that starts tomorrow...I got Tiger...I'll check back in with you soon Valley. Keep it Gutter.

"I'd love to go back to where we played as kids, but things change, it's just the way it is...That's just the way it is, Things will never be the same......" ~2Pac

Out like my paychecks
McQuillan

-Don't forget to holler at me with any ideas for the blog, or if you want to ask me out because my blog is so sexy, shoot me an email at kvalleyreport@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. So, it turns out some indivuduals from my old employer ran across my blog...I mean how popular am I!!!!! I see a "Lame" marking for my entry and I find that funny, and totally in line with what i'd expect. Look, I just said the truth, what I witnessed and experienced while on the job. If you can find another person who ways it like it is more accurately than me, let me know...until then, continue doing what you're doing and enjoy doing it...

    ReplyDelete